Who we are
Supporting Silk Sisters Project is a registered Australian NGO Incorporated Charity that commenced working in volunteering in Cambodia in 2013. We are a non political and non evangelical organisation.
Our main focus is clinical education for midwives and nurses , coaching and support at a rural referral hospital and the provision of free pop up clinics in rural villages and urban slums or displacement camps. We also provide equipment and medical drugs to support Prey Kabas Referral Hospital in Takeo province.
Read about us in this website and follow our story from a pair of tourists to a band of committed volunteers who are improving the lives of Cambodians.
Cambodia is a surprisingly interesting country and there are lots for all to see and do.
Visit pre Angkorian ancient temples and modern Buddhist temples through out the land. Shop until you drop at the day and night markets. Enjoy a drink at sunset on the riverside.If you are game try a national delicacy of fried Tarantulas!
Things we have achieved
- We have constructed a birthing room for women.
- Conducted a feeding program for malnourished children in the slums
- Identified serious illness in children and funded their medical care, medications and investigations
- Housed two homeless families
- Provided clinical education and coaching for midwives and nurses
- Donated medical equipment and medical drugs to a referral hospital
What we are doing -now and in the future
Cambodia is a country that has almost endless demand for health education and assistance. Unlike larger NGO’s we work at grass roots levels in villages.
This has been a successful model for the delivery of free primary health care services and we intend to continue operations in this way in the future.
- continuing clinical education for midwives and nurses
- continuing our free primary health care clinics
- provision of primary health dental care for children
- funding the continuing healthcare and safety of individual children
- supporting the work and philosophy of the Don Bosco Salesian Nuns in their provision of education and safety for poor girls
Some of our volunteers
We welcome inquires from people who are interested in learning more about volunteering with us.