Who we are
Supporting Silk Sisters Project is a registered Australian NGO Incorporated Charity. We have been operating in Cambodia since 2013.
We are a non political and non evangelical organisation.
Our main focus is clinical education for midwives and nurses , coaching and support at a rural referral hospital. We also provide equipment and medical drugs to the hospital.
SSSP conducts post natal visits to rural villages and provides free primary health care clinics in urban slums and supports children and families from among the most needy of Phnom Penh’s population.
Read about us in this website and follow our story from a pair of tourists to a band of volunteers who are committed to improving the lives of Cambodians.
Cambodia is a surprisingly interesting country and there are lots for all to see and do.
Visit pre Angkorian ancient temples and modern Buddhist temples through out the land. Shop until you drop at the day and night markets. Enjoy a drink at sunset on the riverside.If you are game try a national delicacy of fried Tarantulas!
Things we have done
- We have constructed a birthing room for women.
- Conducted a feeding program for malnourished children in the slums
- Identified serious illness in children and funded their medical care, medications and investigations
- Housed homeless families
- Provided clinical education and coaching for midwives and nurses
- Donated medical equipment and medical drugs to a referral hospital
What we are doing -now and in the future
Cambodia is a country that has almost endless demand for health educaton and assistance. Unlike larger NGO’s we are able to to operate at a grass roots level. Giving assistance to individuals and families.
This has been a successful model for the delivery of services and we intend to continue operations in this way in the future.
Some of the things we intend to do in the future include
- more clinical education for midwives and nurses
- maintaining our free primary health care clinics
- funding the continuing education, healthcare and safety of individual children
- supporting the work and philosophy of the Don Bosco Salesian Nuns who educate the poor and provide a place of safety for children.
Some of our volunteers
We welcome inquires from people who are interested in learning more about volunteering with us.