Who we are
Supporting Silk Sisters Project is a registered Australian NGO Incorporated Charity that commenced volunteering in Cambodia in 2013. We are a non political and non evangelical organisation. We do not support Volunteer Tourism and all our Volunteers meet their own expenses.
Our main focus is clinical education for midwives and nurses , coaching and support at a rural referral hospital and the provision of free pop up primary health and dental care clinics in rural villages in Takeo Province, urban slums or displacement camps. We also provide equipment and medical drugs to support Prey Kabas Referral Hospital in Takeo Province.
Read about us in this website and follow our story from a pair of tourists to a band of committed volunteers who are improving the health of rural Cambodians.
Cambodia is a surprisingly interesting country and there are lots for all to see and do.
Visit pre Angkorian ancient temples and modern Buddhist temples through out the land. Shop until you drop at the day and night markets. Enjoy a drink at sunset on the riverside.If you are game try a national delicacy of fried Tarantulas!
Things we have achieved
- We have constructed a birthing room for women.
- Conducted a feeding program for malnourished children in the slums
- Identified serious illness in children and funded their medical care, medications and investigations
- Housed two homeless families
- Provided clinical education and coaching for midwives and nurses
- Donated medical equipment and medical drugs to Prey Kabas Referral Hospital
- Provided two air conditioners for operating theatres
- Donated surgical instruments, clinical monitor, baby warmer
- Supported Operating theatre education for nurses
- Provision of lap top for scholarship student to attend University
- Supplied bikes to poor children so they can attend school
- Supplied text books to Kragslah School
- Supplied two state of the art Obstetric beds
- Volunteers have Undertaken dental training at One 2 One Medical/Dental Clinic and Pithiastra University
What we are doing -now and in the future
Cambodia is a country that has almost endless demand for health education and assistance. Unlike larger NGO’s we work at grass roots levels in villages and slums. This has been a successful model for the delivery of free primary health and dental care services and we intend to continue these clinics into the future.
- continuing clinical education for midwives and nurses
- continuing our free primary health care clinics
- provision of primary health dental care for children
- funding the continuing healthcare and safety of individual children
- supporting the work and philosophy of the Don Bosco Salesian Nuns in their provision of education and safety for poor girls
Some of our volunteers
We welcome inquires from people who are interested in learning more about volunteering with us.